Title 2 / Class 3 / NFA

Suppressors Information

Silencer Research Website and Forum

American Suppressor Association

Some great info about suppressing a high power rifle.

NFA Talk has some good comparisons of suppressors side by side.

How do I get started buying a suppressor?

The process appears to be overwhelming but is quite simple. All you have to do is get started!

  • First decide if it is legal for you to own a silencer.

Determine whether or not your state allows you to own a silencer. Private silencer ownership is currently legal in AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WE, And WY.

Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a silencer from a dealer

Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a silencer from an individual on a Form 4 to Form 4 transfer (contingent on state laws).

Be at least 18 years of age to possess a silencer as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).

Be a resident of the United States.

Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm. You must not have any felony convictions.

  • Pay a one time $200 Transfer Tax, for each silencer purchased

Buying your silencer.

The first step is to find which silencer meets your needs. select correct thread pitch, color, mount or piston if those options are applicable. If you a North Carolina resident and will be registering the silencer to a trust or corporation then you will also select the $200 Tax stamp option. This amount is forwarded on to the ATF when we submit your application electronically. If you are registering the silencer as an individual then you will attach a check to your completed application for the $200 Tax stamp before mailing to the ATF. This is the one time Tax paid to the ATF for each silencer you own.

Want to know how they compare, Check out NFATalk.com, this is a great link for direct comparisons.

  • Register the silencer in your own name

We will provide you with the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) with the dealer information completed. You then complete the remaining required information on the form. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. Sign and date the back of both forms.

Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.

Acquire a signature of the chief law enforcement officer of your county or your local sheriff.

Get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards completed by your local sherif (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4.

Fill out the ATF Form 5330.20 (Certification of Compliance). Place both completed copies of Form 4, the two copies of FBI fingerprint cards, and the completed Certification of Compliance form in an envelope, along with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 and mail to the address listed on Form 4.

After the ATF approves Form 4, they will send it to the dealer where you purchased the silencer. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the silencer is ready for pick up.

We also offer shipping to you of the approved suppressor.  This involves you signing an affidavit and completing a 4473 and mailing it to us.  We then send a copy to your local CLEO and wait 7 days.  If we do not hear from your CLEO within 7 days we mail the suppressor to you.  So even if you are on the other side of the sate, give us a call to see if we can get you a great deal on the suppressor of your choice.

The current wait time on a paper filed form is 5 to 6 months.

  • Register the silencer to a trust or corporation

Scan your Trust or Corporation documents into a PDF file, include all schedules or attachments, and email them to info@s2fcllc.com. We submit your paperwork electronically via the ATF EFORMS system and pay the $200 tax stamp fee online at time of filing.

The current wait time on electronically filed applications are currently running about 4 months. Once we get the approval verification from the ATF, you can enjoy your suppressor!

A similar process applies for other Title 2 items like SBRs and Machine Guns.